GAINS OF HAJJ (Qur’an 2: 197-202)
By Imam Idris Oni
In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful
All praises belong to Allah, blessings and salutations upon the best among mankind, the leader and teacher of the world, Muhammad the Messenger of Allah. Yah Allah! Send Your blessings upon him, his households, companions and everyone that follow their path until the day of judgment.
Brethren in Islam! Allah has given us the opportunity to be alive and witness the preparatory days of the duties of Hajj. Last week, we discussed how to prepare for Hajj. Today, we understand that some of the Hujjaj (Pilgrims) are already setting out for the sacred duty while others are about to take-off. Thus, we wish to discuss the significance of Hajj.
Hajj, if well performed has many benefits. Its benefits include spiritual, social and moral, economic, political and educational gains. Among the spiritual benefits of Hajj are:
1. It purifies the pilgrims from all sins and iniquities (See Muslim 2/3129);
3. It alienates the pilgrim against all the barriers that between him and his hereafter;
4. It humbles the ego and gives the soul a means of an unadulterated servitude to Allah (Suratu Luqman: 18);
5. Prayers offered at the Haramayn are rewarded in multifold;
6. Supplications made at the Ka’bah are not rejected by Allah (Suratul Baqara: 201).
7. Hajj is a form of Jihad especially for women (Bukhari, Vol.4 Hadith 43).
Among the social and moral gains are:
8. It teaches justice and equality i.e. all pilgrims use the white Ihram irrespective of their political or social status (Suratul Maidah: 8);
9. Pilgrims flock together without a barrier or special treatment for the rich and influential;
10. Pilgrims get the opportunity to meet Muslims from other parts of the world. Through that, brotherhood and unity is strengthened;
11. Pilgrims share rooms, food and other materials. Thereby, love is enhanced;
12. Hajj makes it compulsory for pilgrims to abstain from illicit actions, foul expressions and attitudes and other sinful things, thereby making them pure in the sight of Allah and refining their characters and persons.(Suratul Baqara: 197).
Among the economic gains of Hajj is that merchants from across the world can meet while goods and services can be exchanged. Economic activities are permissible for pilgrims when the duties of Hajj are complete (For more, see Suratul Baqara: 198). Politically, Hajj reminds the Muslims of the possibility of a single and legal Islamic State where all Muslims can fraternize and listen to only one Imam/Amir.
Educational benefits of Hajj are beyond count. Apart from the fact that it takes one to the cradle of Islam, it makes it easier for the pilgrim to understand the Islamic history, reaffirm his faith and see the truths that are embedded in the word of Allah.
We ask Allah, the Lord of the majestic throne to accept our worships, grant the Hujjaj (pilgrims) safe journey to and from Hajj and protect their families, friends and loved ones. Amin.
Allahumma salli ‘ala sayyidina Muhammad wa ‘ala alihi wa sahbihi wa sallim. Amin.